I received a copy of the So Chic guide from the French Chamber of Commerce in Singapore and I found it very useful.
It offers information on:
- Luxury brands like Chanel, Cartier, Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc
- Beauty brands like Biotherm, Clarins, Lancome, L’OCCITANE, etc. And did you know Make Up For Ever Academy is from Paris? Sephora, too, was founded in France in 1969!
- Fashion retailers like Morgan and promod, and some lesser-known brands.
- Food! Everything from restaurants to bars and bakeries. It also reminds me that I have to try Ladurée’s macarons! 😀 Ladurée Boutique is at #02-09 of Takashimaya Shopping Centre, while the Counter is at #01-24A.
What I do love most about the guide has to be the pages of trivia within, such as:
- Wigs were introduced in the 17th century, when King Louis XIII of France, who had let his own hair grow long, began to bald prematurely at the age of 23!
- The two-piece swimsuit, or “bikini”, was invented in 1946 by two French designers, Jacques Heim and Louis Reard. It was first sold in a beach shop in Cannes!
- A French woman, Herminie Cadolle, invented the modern bra. In the late 19th century, women would come to her lingerie store to be measured and would then have pieces custom-made. Little did she know that her bras would be adopted as and remain a standard piece of women’s undergarments.
- To cheer by banging glasses is a custom born in the Middle Ages, a time when death by poisoning happened frequently. When drinking, Lords would make sure that a little content of their glass spilt in others’ glasses to show that the drinks were not poisoned.
Where to get a FREE copy of the So Chic guide:
- French Chamber of Commerce in SG at 541 Orchard Road, #09-01 Liat Towers (69331350)
- Some retail outlets listed in the guide
- Digital download from http://www.sochic.sg / http://www.fccsingapore.com